Wayne Couzens loses life sentence appeal

Wayne Couzens is still set to die in prison after losing his bid for a reduced sentence in the Court of Appeal.

In May, senior judges heard challenges or appeals to the prison sentences of five convicted murderers, including the life sentences of former police officer Couzens and double murderer Ian Stewart.

Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes, who killed six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, also had their sentences reviewed, along with triple murderer Jordan Monaghan.

On Friday, Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett and four other judges refused to reduce Couzens’ sentence.

Last year the former officer was given a life sentence for the rape and murder of 33-year-old Sarah Everard, the first time the sentence had been handed down for a single adult murder not committed during a terrorist attack. .

Appealing against the life sentence, Couzens’ lawyers argued he deserved “decades in prison”, but said a life sentence was excessive.

However, in a summary read out in court, Lord Burnett said the sentencing judge was entitled to impose a life order on the facts of the Couzens case.

This is breaking news. More soon.

Leave a Comment