Four people rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after using charcoal grill indoors

Four people from an Adelaide household who used an indoor charcoal barbecue for warmth narrowly escaped death from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Metropolitan Fire Service.

MFS and ambulance crews were called to a unit on Riverside Drive in Bedford Park around 1.30am.

Two men and two women, in their twenties and thirties, had brought inside a charcoal brazier loaded with hot beads for warmth.

Witnesses reported that one of the women screamed for help when she couldn’t wake the others.

MFS station officer Wayne Trezise said it was “pure luck” that the woman woke up enough to sound the alarm.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus evacuated the remaining occupants who were in a semi-conscious state and suffering from nosebleeds.

They were all immediately put on oxygen.

MFS station officer Wayne Trezise says three of the occupants had to be evacuated. (ABC News)

Mr Trezise said the occupants would have been overwhelmed by combustion products within minutes of bringing the charcoal brazier inside and quickly fell asleep.

“They wouldn’t realize it, they would be hot for a while and they would be sleepy then they would sleep and they wouldn’t wake up,” he said.

“It wouldn’t be until a loved one tried to contact them, and they wouldn’t answer their door.”

“Multiple layers of clothing will keep you warm”

Earlier this week, a family of six Iranian refugees were rushed to hospital in Sydney after a similar incident in which they used an indoor charcoal barbecue to keep warm.

Mr Trezise said it was sad that people were resorting to installing outdoor appliances indoors amid soaring electricity prices.

“All these external barbecue appliances – they all say ‘do not use the barbecue indoors’ – it’s a killer.

“We can’t stress anymore; you don’t have to do that. This is very, very stupid behavior.

“I feel for everyone in pain, but multiple layers of clothing will keep you warm.”

Three firefighters stand next to a fire truck in the dark
MFS crews were called to the Bedford Park unit around 1.30am.(ABC News)

Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the “silent killer” because it has no smell, taste or color.

Health authorities warn that babies, young children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with respiratory problems are most vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to SA Health, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include persistent fatigue and drowsiness, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, vomiting, weakness, confusion, and loss of consciousness.

Leave a Comment