Cop who filmed woman changing at Primark avoids jail

A Metropolitan Police officer caught spying on a woman in the dressing room of a Primark store has avoided jail.

PC Swaleh Chaudhry, was caught when the victim spotted his phone being used to film her at the shopping center in Wandsworth, south London.

After his arrest, detectives also found a number of images of child abuse and extreme pornography at his home.

Appearing at Kingston Crown Court, the 36-year-old was sentenced to ten months in jail, suspended for 18 months. He also received a sexual abuse prevention order.

Chaudhry had previously pleaded guilty to one count of voyeurism; one count of possession of extreme pornography and three counts of making an indecent image of a child.

The victim shouted: “Are you recording me?”

Outlining the details of the case at an earlier plea hearing, prosecutor Suleman Hussain said: “A complainant was in the dressing room trying on clothes and she said she heard a rustle in the fitting room next to his.

“Under the benches there was a gap between the changing rooms, she saw a black cell phone with the camera facing her.

“She saw the camera appear to follow her as she moved, she started shouting ‘Are you recording me?’

“There was a response from the booth next to hers saying no. She went out and told her boyfriend, and the accused was then arrested.

Chaudhry was suspended from the Met after his arrest and resigned ahead of the sentencing hearing.

Met: His actions go against everything we stand for

A misconduct hearing held in May ruled that he would have been summarily dismissed had he not already left the force.

Commander Kyle Gordon, who leads the Met task force, said: ‘Former Constable Chaudhry’s behavior was disgusting. His actions go against everything we stand for.

“Serving as a police officer is a privilege and comes with great responsibility. He has shown himself to be utterly unfit for the position and unworthy of the public’s trust, and it is right that he resigned.

“He was investigated, charged and brought to court by Metropolitan Police officers within 48 hours of the incident.

“I hope this swift action demonstrates our absolute determination to root out those people in our organization who have failed the public and have also failed the thousands of dedicated and hardworking officers with whom they serve.”

Leave a Comment