Archie Battersbee’s family vow to call for change after 12-year-old child dies | UK News

Archie Battersbee’s family have called for a review to be held after the boy’s death, saying they want “something good to come out of this tragedy”.

The 12-year-old boy, who had been in a coma since April, died at the Royal London Hospital on Saturday, after weeks of legal wrangling, his life-saving treatment was stopped.

He was being kept alive through a combination of medical interventions, including ventilation and drug treatments.

Attending physicians Archie for the past four months declared him “brain stem dead”, but his family had pleaded for his life-sustaining treatment to continue in the hope that he would eventually recover.

His parents had made offers to the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the European Court of Human Rights for him to be transferred to a hospice to die, but they were all turned down.

Now Archie’s family have vowed to call for “change” to ensure no one else goes through “such a horrible experience”.

“We want something good to come out of this tragedy and the horrible experience we have had with the system,” they said in a statement released by the Christian Legal Center, which supports the family’s case.

Learn more about Archie Battersbee

“No parent or family should go through this again. We were forced into a relentless legal battle by the hospital trust as we faced unimaginable tragedy.

“We were pushed into a corner by the system, stripped of all our rights, and had to fight for Archie’s true ‘interest’ and his right to live with everything against us.”

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Archie Battersbee, 12, dies after life support was disabled

“Nothing worthy of watching a child suffocate”

Archie’s family continued to say they faced “unbelievable” pressure due to the legal procedure and called for “an investigation and inquiry through the proper channels into what happened” to their “beautiful boy”.

After his death, his mother, Hollie Dance, said her son “fought until the very end” and was “so proud to be his mother”.

“He went off his meds at 10 a.m. and his stats were stable until two hours later when they took the vent off,” said Ella Rose Carter, fiancée of Archie’s older brother Tom. , on behalf of the family.

“There is absolutely nothing dignified about watching a family member or child suffocate.

“We hope that no family will have to go through what we went through. It is barbaric.”

Alistair Chesser, chief medical officer at Barts Health NHS Trust, which runs the hospital where Archie died, said staff provided “high quality care with extraordinary compassion”.

“This tragic case not only affected the family and their caregivers, but touched the hearts of many people across the country,” he said.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

A mother’s fight to save her son

“Charlie’s Law”

Ms Dance had previously called for reform through ‘Charlie’s Law’ – a campaign that tries to get more support and choice for parents of sick children in their child’s treatment.

It was led by Chris Gard and Connie Yates, who became embroiled in a public battle with doctors over the treatment of their son, Charlie Gard, in 2017.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates
Image:
Chris Gard, Connie Yates and Charlie Gard

Read more:
How a mother fought to save her son

Archie is just the latest tragedy to be played out publicly

Charlie suffered from a rare inherited condition called childhood mitochondrial encephalomyopathy DNA depletion syndrome (MDDS) and was on life support.

His parents wanted to take him to New York for treatment, but the doctors caring for him at Great Ormond Street Hospital thought his treatment should end.

The An 11-month-old boy died in July 2017 after a High Court judge ruled in favor of the doctors.

Leave a Comment